Thursday, November 21, 2013

Tutorial Thursday - Faux Wood


Hi all - Debbie here with you today to show you how to create a "faux wood" look. I was asked to do this after I put my La-La Land Sketch Copic Marker Stand together using this method. It took me a little longer to do than I had hoped due to having to work out the colours using currently available ink pads - some of the ones I used  on my copic stand have been discontinued.


Apologizes for all of the photos - I have cut them back to as few as possible but I thought it would be good to show you how it all progresses.


The first thing you need to do is to collect your bits and pieces. Today I'm using one of the La-La Land Trinket Boxes. The inks I'm using are Distress Inks in Wild Honey, Gathered Twigs and Vintage Photo. You'll also need a white ink pad. I usually use my Stampin' Up one but it seems to have gone missing in my craftroom so I grabbed my Brilliance Moonlight White dew drop instead.


Grab the Wild Honey and drag it across the surface of the trinket box.


Follow up with Gathered Twigs......


....and then Vintage Photo.


The white goes on next - but drag it in selected areas rather than all over the surface. White ink usually stays wet longer so step away for about 10 minutes and let everything dry.


Once everything is dry re-layer on the Wild Honey and Gathered Twig until you are happy with the result. Add Vintage Photo sparingly at this stage if desired. 


And here's the trinket box decorated up using a digi paper from La-La Land's Retro Christmas set (the whole inside of the trinket box has been lined with this paper too), Christmas Present Luka and Heart Snowflakes.

I hope this inspires you to give this technique a go yourself - it looks great done on paper and used as a background too.

Debbie 
xXx

1 comment:

  1. OMG - Debbie: what a great idea to do. Had no clue that paperboard would come out so cool!!!! TFS...gotta tryt his one..................

    ReplyDelete